Friday, January 23, 2015

Ikat Print Nails


Alright. The semester had begun again. And I hate it already. Ha. Anyways, I had posted on my instagram earlier this week the mani I did for the first day of classes. I chose an ikat print because that's what I did for the first day of first semester. Also, I just love this design! This is my 3rd time doing it! I figured I'd do a little pictorial for the blog today.


Step 1:



Start with a base color. I went with OPI "My Dogsled Is A Hybrid" from the 2014 Nordic collection. I seriously love this polish and really don't use it enough!

Step 2:



Using a white striper, create jagged diamond shapes going on and off the nail in varying positions.

Step 3:



Create smaller jagged diamonds in the middle of each white one with a different color. I used my new China Glaze from the brand new Road Trip collection. This pretty periwinkle shade is called "Boho Blues" and I laaahve it!

Step 4:



Finally, outline the white outline with black, without losing the jagged texture. Also make tinier jagged black diamonds inside the periwinkle ones.

Step 5:



Finish off with a fast drying top coat. I used the HK Girl top coat from Glisten & Glow because my Seche Vite is about halfway gone, so basically it's unusable. (if you don't know what I'm talking about -- Seche is notorious for getting extremely thick and gloopy after some extended use)

Hope you like this tutorial and that you try this design out for yourself. It's actually quite easy to do because you don't need a steady hand. The jerkier you are the more jagged and unique the tribal shapes are. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment