Thursday, August 7, 2014

Beach Themed Nails


I went to the beach this past weekend with my family and. of course, my sisters and I all had to have beach-y nails. So here is the second of the three beach manicures that will appear on Polish and Beyond this summer!
The design for this was actually pulled from a couple different manicures by different people (I know MissJenFabulous was one of them but I can't recall the other) so I'm not claiming the original designs as my own. I really love the combination of this manicure and how it incorporates everything wonderful about the shore - the sand, the surf, and the fun!

Step 1:

[sorry, I forgot to take a picture for this step]

Start with a white base on all your fingernails.

Step 2:



Thumb & Middle : Create a blue gradient (or ombré) with the darkest blue at the cuticle fading to the lightest blue at the tip. I used Essie "Strut Your Stuff", Essie "In The Cab-Ana", and Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear "Breezy Blue" for my gradient. I created the gradient by painting lines of each blue on a cosmetic wedge cut to the approximate size of a fingernail and then patting it on top of the white base.

Index & Pinky : Using a sandy tan polish ("Case Study" by Essie is a perfect sand color), use a cosmetic wedge to pat onto a a white base. I loved how this technique made the polish look textured like gritty sand. It turned out great!

Ring : Choose some bright colors to make the wedges of a beach ball. I used a tiny paint brush for making the wedges so I could be more precise. It doesn't have to be perfect in the center because we will fix that in the next step.

Step 3:



Thumb & Middle : For making the "water reflections" on the gradient, I found that a white nail art pen works best, but you could also use a white nail striper. I basically just made little squiggles across the nail that would cross at some different points.

Index & Pinky : Next, using a small dotting tool dipped in a coral polish, freehand a starfish in the sand. It doesn't have to be perfect since starfish are natural creatures and aren't always perfect.

Ring : Get a big ole dotting tool to pop a big ole white dot in the center of the three colored wedges of the beach ball.

Step 4:



Thumb & Middle : Pick out an iridescent "ocean" glitter for on top of the water nails. I used this pretty glitter from L.A. Colors called "Sassy Sparkle."

Index & Pinky : This step is optional, based on your liking, but I liked how it looked. Use a white nail art pen (I don't think this will work as well with a nail striper or a dotting tool) to make tiny dots on top of the starfish. While they are still wet, gently place your finger on top so that most of the polish comes off, leaving the starfish with a more detailed, 3D textured effect.

Ring : [none]

Step 5:



ALL THE FINGERS : Clean up around the  edges (especially around the nails done with cosmetic sponges), as needed, and finish off the design with a top coat to smooth it all out and make all the designs nice and shiny.

Here is a collage of all the fingers close up so you can see the detail on each nail better, I apologize for it being so blurry, I really do.


---------------------------------

I really do love this manicure and the combination of all the different designs. It is definitely very detailed and slightly complicated but the design is TOTALLY worth it! It's gorgeous! Until next time! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment