Saturday, May 23, 2015

KBShimmer Summer 2015 Faded Neons Collection Review


Happy Saturday! Today I have a review of some BEAUTIFUL pastel neon polishes from KBShimmer. I purchased all 7 that were released in the massive summer collection that came out last Friday. They arrived super quickly and I got straight to swatching them! They are so fabulous. They all dry to a slightly rubbery less-than-glossy finish which is typical for neons, but my swatch photos are shown with topcoat. These cremes are priced at $7.50 which is amazing for what you're getting -- gorgeous colors and quality formulas! Let's get right into those swatches!


Lei It Again

2 coats w/ topcoat

Lei It Again is an electric bubblegum pink shade -- even brighter than my swatch photo shows! It has a nice formula, only slightly thicker than the rest of the collection, but still easy to apply. It only takes 2 coats to be completely opaque and insanely bright. I compared Lei It Again to China Glaze "Float On" and Color Club "Flamingo". At first glance, this polish reminded me of "Float On", but it's actually much brighter. It's a closer match to "Flamingo" which is just a touch darker. Out of the three, Lei It Again is my favorite by far!


Bahama Drama

2 coats w/ topcoat

Bahama Drama is a pastel neon orange-y coral. This polish has a very smooth formula and is opaque in 2 coats. I don't have any polishes quite like this one in my collection. I compared it to Wet N Wild MegaLast "Warm Filter" from the Silver Lake collection, but it's a lot dustier than Bahama Drama. I also compared it to China Glaze "Flip Flop Fantasy" (new formula) which is a lot more orange.


Leggo My Mango

2 coats w/ topcoat

Leggo My Mango is a peachy orange creme that looks just like a creamsicle (or dreamsicle or whatever). It had a great formula and was opaque in 2 coats. There were a couple minor problem spots if you looked really closely, but not enough to need a 3rd coat. I also compared this to China Glaze "Flip Flop Fantasy" (new formula), but in this case FFF was more coral. This is similar in tone to Wet N Wild MegaLast "Sun Settle Down" from the California Dreaming collection but it's much much brighter.


Rum Me The Right Way

3 coats w/ topcoat

Rum Me The Right Way is a bright sunshine yellow -- the perfect mix of pastel and neon. It dried a lot darker than it appears in the bottle, which is kind of a bummer, but it's still quite pretty. It had a decent formula for a yellow and needed 3 coats. Even with it drying darker than it is in the bottle, it's still not as bright or green toned as a true highlighter yellow like Orly "Glowstick". It's much more similar to China Glaze "Daisy Know My Name?" from the Electric Nights collection. Rum Me The Right Way is just a touch more pastel and does NOT need to be layered over a white base (both polishes I compared it to need a white base).


For Sail By Owner

2 coats w/ topcoat

For Sail By Owner (can we just take note how cute that name is) is a pastel neon fresh grass green. This is another one that dries brighter than it appears in the bottle, but I don't mind so much because I loooove the color! It has a great formula and is opaque in 2 coats. In the bottle, it looks a lot like China Glaze "Grass Is Lime Greener" but it dries brighter. I also compared it to Orly "Key Lime Twist" from the Sugar High collection, not so much because it's similar, just for comparison's sake. "Key Lime Twist" is a lot yellower.


In Yacht Water

2 coats w/ topcoat

In Yacht Water is a pretty sky blue creme with a splash of aqua, nothing too special or unique. It did have a nice formula though and was opaque in 2 easy coats. I compared this is China Glaze "Capacity To See Beyond" and Essie "In The Cab-Ana". They're both a slight bit darker and "In The Cab-Ana" has a bit more teal in it.


Sarong Place, Sarong Time

2 coats w/ topcoat

Sarong Place, Sarong Time is a gorgeous orchid creme -- warmer toned than my swatch photo appears. I'm not usually a fan of warmer toned purples, but this was an unexpected favorite! It had a fantastic formula that was so easy to work with and was completely opaque in 2 coats. There wasn't a single streak on the first coat, but you could still see the nail and a second coat deepened the color. At first, I thought this would be a dupe for China Glaze "That's Shore Bright" but it turns out TSB is the cool toned version of this color! I also compared it to Pipe Dream Polish "V.I.P. Pass" which is similar in tone but much more vivid.


BONUS!!
Shade Shifter

3 coats without topcoat

But wait! We're not done yet! For my birthday a couple weeks ago, I received the infamous "nail blogger cup" from Starbucks. It's an awesome duochrome tumbler that basically every nail girl needs. Anyways, I had to find a polish to match and since I was already ordering the faded neons, I went with KBShimmer "Shade Shifter". It's a stunning multichrome polish that shifts from a dazzling blue to a vibrant purple with a hard-to-capture hint of  an olive-y gold. In basically every light it's a blue to purple, but I did manage to capture that olive-y gold shift. My swatch photo shows 3 easy coats, but you can also layer a coat or 2 over a black base if you prefer. This is such a fun polish and definitely has the potential to be distracting because I sat at my desk for a while watching my nails change from blue to purple with each movement.

There's that sneaky gold!
Can you say typical nail blogger?

And there's my review of the KBShimmer Faded Neon cremes (and Shade Shifter). These are such a gorgeous rainbow of polishes and I definitely recommend them! If you picked up any of the 28 new KBShimmers for the summer, let me know in the comments! I hope you all have a nice weekend and I'll talk to you soon! Much love! <3

1 comment:

  1. I really appreciate the color comparisons! Great post!

    ReplyDelete